Top 5 things you should know when you are in a car accident
Most people don't know what to do when they are involved in a car accident. Why? Because being an accident is a once or twice lifetime occurrence. Stay calm and understand that the experts can assist you during the process. Below we've listed the top five things you need to know when an accident occurs and what to know after the accident happens.
1. What to do at the scene of a car accident? Stay in your vehicle unless it is completely unsafe. Officers normally advise to stay put. Call 911 and communicate the accident, location, number of vehicles involved and if you are safe or hurt. This will allow the police and ambulance on scene as quickly as possible.
At the accident scene, should your vehicle not be safe to drive, advise the officer you would like to have your vehicle towed by Crestmont Cadillac Collision Center or repair shop of your choice. Only having your vehicle towed once will be a savings for your insurance company. If your vehicle is safe to drive, take your vehicle to Crestmont Cadillac Collision Center or the collision facility of your choice; give them all your insurance information, asking them to advise your insurance company about the repairs.
Next, you should also contact your insurance company and advise them of the accident, where your vehicle was taken and on the damage. Some insurance companies have what is called "drive-in claims service." It is not mandatory you use this service unless your policy states otherwise. Just inform your insurance company where their claims person can see your vehicle.
2. What is the difference between collision insurance and comprehensive insurance coverage? Collision insurance and comprehensive insurance may vary. Generally, collision insurance covers damage to your vehicle caused by a collision with another object. Comprehensive insurance covers damage to your automobile from incidents such as vandalism, theft or glass breakage. It is generally a good idea to periodically review your policy and ask your insurance agent what exclusions are in your policy.
3. Do I have to use the vehicle shop my insurance company recommends or can I take it to my personal choice collision center? You can always take it to Crestmont Cadillac Collision Center in Beachwood, Ohio. The insurance company cannot tell you where to repair your vehicle. At times, insurance companies with special interests will attempt to steer you to fix your vehicle at their preferred shop , a shop that gives the insurance company special offers. These offers will often come at the vehicle owner's expense which could compromise safety and the quality of repairs.
Remember that it is the insurance adjuster's job to satisfy the customer and close the claim at the lowest possible cost. If you decide to use your insurance company's preferred shop, ask if your policy contains an "elects to repair" clause, causing your insurance to be responsible for the quality of repairs and possibly loss of value.
4. Do I have to get multiple estimates? No, you do not need to get multiple estimates. You only need to notify your insurance representative as to where you will be having your repairs done. Your insurance company will work hand in hand with your choice of shop to insure you receive the service and quality repairs you have come to expect.
5. What happens if the insurance company's estimate is lower than the one I get from Crestmont Cadillac? Insurance companies are generally willing to pay for a proper repair. The insurance company appraiser may include only the most obvious damage in their estimate. At Crestmont, we try to write as thorough an estimate as possible. Just bring the insurance estimate in with you and we can go over the differences. If necessary, we'll notify the insurance company of the changes we need to make. Generally this just takes a phone call and we will bill your insurance company for the supplement at the completion of the repair.